Thursday, May 30, 2013

Technologic in the Time of Cholera

This has been swimming around in my head for a while and I finally decided to put it out here:

There's something to be said about the endorphin hit you get when you hear your text message chime and the person on the other end of that message is someone you're interested in.

Let me back up.

It's really interesting to see how technology and, to a greater extent text messaging has influenced the interpersonal and romantic relationships that we engage in. Before, you'd meet someone and then spend some time getting to know them face-to-face on a personal level. Now there's a sort of limbo that you enter together; you text and get to know each other while making plans to meet and spend time with one another. It's in this limbo we start to overanalyze these small interactions and go crazy.

Our generation occupies an interesting place in the timeline of the maturation of technology. With this maturation come a set of problems completely unique to us. When do I text first? How long should I wait between receiving a message and sending another one? How many smileys are TOO many smileys? Try to explain this to anyone over the age of 35 and you'll be met with blank stares.

I guess what I'm getting at is that while dancing the dance in this digital limbo, nothing can beat spending time with that person face-to-face.


My goal is to write at least twice a week, hopefully more. We'll see though, life always manages to get in the way for some reason.


I said this before, but I feel I'm on the precipice of something, but I don't know what. Perhaps it's just Summer coming on. Only one way to find out, I guess.


No comments:

Post a Comment