Sunday, April 3, 2011

Stood Up

Lately there has been a lot of focus on me dating, or my lack there of.  Mostly it's been coming from external sources, be it friends or family.  My mom tried to set me up on a blind date with  her co-worker's niece. I was open for it because, at worst, it was a story that I could tell.  So the girl gives the information to her Aunt, her Aunt to my Mother, and my Mother to me.  Now, I've never been on a blind date so this idea was a little...odd?  So I choose to e-mail her and start the ball rolling in the most non-threatening way possible.  She e-mails back and we start a little dialogue.  Our rapport was nice and I felt that there was some chemistry, albeit a digital one.  The last e-mail I got from her was about a week and a half ago.  Communications just stopped and I am left wondering why that might be.  I'm not really losing any sleep over it because, let's face it, I didn't really even know this girl.  But it has still left me wondering, but I guess I should be thankful that it didn't end up getting to the point where some of my recent...endeavors in the world of dating have ended up.

About a month ago I had a date with a girl.  I haven't really told any of my friends because, well they don't really need to know everything about me, do they? I digress. This lady-friend and I had once gone out previously, and agreed to do so again.  She says that she'll meet me at the restaurant and we will go from there. I, being a neurotically early person, show up a little early in order to get a seat. Ten minutes past 8pm and I figure she's running late, 15 minutes and I'm starting to worry a little. At this point I'm sitting down inside and I can feel the eyes burning into me and I can only imagine the murmuring going on about me. 20 Minutes late and I now something is up, so I text her. I receive the following text 5 minutes later:

"hey i dont think we should see eachother anymore i think were just different and dont see this going any further sorry."

The lack of punctuation aside, this was an infuriating and embarrassing thing to have sent to me. Couldn't she have told me before that day? Fuck, before that HOUR? Sometimes I just don't get people. Maybe I'm overly polite but I wouldn't ever do something that shitty to someone else.  This isn't the first time I've been stood up, and I'm sure it won't be the last, but damn if it doesn't suck.

This all comes around to my dating again. I don't care that It's been a while since I've had a...significant other (barf).  I'm fine hanging out on my own or with friends.  Yes, there are great things about sharing your time with someone you care about, but there is a lot of shit that goes along with getting to the point where you're happy, and I'm fine with staving off those shitty things a little longer before attempting to jump into another adventure in dating. But that's not to say I'm completely closed to the idea of being with anyone, just that I'm not actively looking. And I don't think that's a bad place to be in.

~Jared

This was rather long winded, and I hope to not make all these like this, but It felt nice to write again! I hope there is more in the immediate future =)

No comments:

Post a Comment